I May Never Come Home!

I May Never Come Home!
No kidding, this is from our apt. window!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Streetside Shofar Serenade!

So this evening, we're strolling back from a visit to a friends' apartment and these 2 black hat Haredi duds with the long beards (and can I tell you it's 90' F here at 7pm, I kid you not) walk by us and ask if we've had the privilege of hearing the shofar (ram's horn) blow (it's like a good deed to hear it blown on rosh hashanah)... anyway, so we said no, and then the dude plops a yamulke on my dad's head and makes him recite a couple of prayers and then proceeds to perform a sidewalk shofar serenade for like five full minutes with his eyes closed, and I mean really blowing that thing till he's red in the face (can I hear an amen? Tikiyah Gidola - Google THAT!!)... I'm looking at my mom like OMG, should I laugh or be scared or be impressed, and she's refusing to look at me b/c she doesn't want to crack up... anyway, it was broad daylight on a surburb street and then the guy simpled finished and we both went on our ways!! Wow, that's bizarre, eh? Unless you live on NYC's lower east side...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caleb,
    this is sam posner. cool story. This is Heather Posner. Thanks for sharing all your adventures with us. Say hi to your mom and dad and Ben. L'Shana Tova! The Posners

    ReplyDelete